Sunday 10 April 2016

I don't want to but I have to

Hi!

My name is Weronika. Aaand I have no idea how to introduce myself properly. I have never even thought about writing a blog, especially in English. But life is full of surprises and unexpected things can happen everyday, in every minute. So this is why I'm here. 

My story is short and quite sad. As most people I love eating. But I also live in hurry. One day I eat enormous amounts of food, and the other - almost nothing. I'm almost one hundred percent sure that's why my stomach has initiated a rebellion and persuaded the intestine to participate in it.

Recently, my GP suggested that maybe I should try the low FODMAP diet. "What is FODMAP?" you may ask. Then let me fill this blank page, which appears in your mind.

FODMAP means Fermentable Oligo-, Di-, Monosaccharides and Polyols. What? Still nothing? Well, I totally understand your confusion. Let me explain it to you briefly and concisely. 

FODMAPs are those little invisible pranksters which stomach just can't stand, so he sends them straight to the gut. They arrange there a party, after which remains weeping and teeth gnashing.

What I mean here is that these are short chain carbohydrates (oligosaccharides), disaccharides, monosaccharides and related alcohols that are poorly absorbed in the small intestine.

These include fructans and galactans, lactose, fructose and sugar alcohols such as sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol and maltitol.







So the aim of the low FODMAP diet is to eliminate the products with a high content of FODMAP, such as dairy products and bread, in order to alleviate the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.

The first phase of the diet should last 6-8 weeks. The second step is a slow return to eating products high in FODMAP (separately lactose and fructose) to identify which ones are harmful for us.

You may ask me now (as the most people do): "Do you eat ANYTHING?". Oh yes, I do. And I will show you. But not today.

I admit, it is not easy to exclude milk and fresh, crispy rolls, which I just adore. Actually, it almost made me cry at the beginning, but it's OK now and I'm not on this diet to the rest of my life, so I think it's worth the effort.

So this is why I'm here. I know that culinary blogs are a bit overrated, because sooooo many people now runs a blog about cooking, but I decided to make one to show you that being on low FODMAP diet is not the end of the world.

It's not easy, but can be tasty and it makes you eat more "consiously", what is very important these days.

See you next time!



PS. OKAY, you got me. It's not a "short" story. It's not and it never will be. Because I'm talkative.

3 comments:

  1. I hope your super diet helps! And remember: if you grow tired of writing about food, you can just change the topic and share your thoughts on something else, for a change :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine not eating apples or buns but I hope it will help you, my dear. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it actually helps! I really miss buns, BUT I've learned how to bake my own gluten-free banana bread! I totally recommend it!

      Delete